Thursday, September 24, 2009

To my baby boy, cont...

I was up by 4:30 am because I couldn’t sleep and was so scared of what we would find out at the doctors’ office. I had called my dad to see if he could come over before we left for Logan to see if he would give me a healing blessing. I was grasping at straws at this point and was hoping that in the blessing, he would tell me that everything would be okay. Instead, we were told that I would be okay and that was pretty much all we knew. I knew he couldn’t just tell us what we wanted to hear and at that point I knew what was going to happen but I was in denial. We got to the doctor’s office and the nurse put the Doppler on to hear your heartbeat. When I heard it, I broke down. The nurse stood there and cried with me. The doctor came in and checked me. He said that I was already dilated to a 2 and he could feel your foot. I guess my body was just going through the natural process of starting labor. We asked him what would happen because we knew you were still alive. There was nothing we could do. He sent us over to be admitted into the hospital and prepare for the worst day of our lives. After we got all the paperwork done and I was hooked up to all the machines, the nurses came in with some information on a group called Share Parents. They told us that if we wanted them to, they would come in and take pictures and put together a little memory box for us. We told them that we wanted them to do that. We were admitted just after 11 am and waited for hours. They didn’t want to push things and just wanted my body to take care of things. By 6:31 pm on September 25, 2008, you were born. You weighed 9.2 ounces and measured 9 ½ inches. They told us that you had passed away before you were born. My mom had come down to be with us and she was the first one to hold you. I hadn’t decided whether I wanted to hold you or not. The idea of death was so scary to me and I didn’t know if I wanted to remember you that way. Your dad didn’t want to and it wasn’t that he didn’t love you but he didn’t want to remember you that way either. He was hurting so bad. He left to get some dinner and just to get some air and try to clear his mind. During that time, the wonderful ladies from Share Parents came in and let me just see the pictures they had taken of you. They also had you there wrapped up just incase I decided to hold you. You were perfect. The ladies from Share said that it was quite obvious that you were a boy :) After seeing the pictures, I knew I had to hold you and spend some time with you. You looked so much like your daddy. I remember noticing the shape of your lips. When your cousin, Sammy, was born, he had your same lips :) The nurse was kind enough to sit in there with me while I held you. I just needed someone there with me. I didn’t want to be alone. When Dad got back from town, I kissed your cheek and wrapped you back up and let them take you. I was able to see you whenever I wanted so I knew I would get to see you again. I told your dad what you looked like and that you looked a lot like him. I think he knew that he needed closure too and needed to see you. Your dad’s a strong man and hardly ever shows emotion, but when he held you and saw you for the first time, he broke down. It was hard on both of us but he took things really hard. They gave me a sleeping pill so I could get some rest the night before we left. I guess some time during the night I was up wondering the halls. They had to take me back to my room. After a somewhat restless night in an uncomfortable hospital bed, they sent us home. I remember thinking that it was weird and very unfair to be going home without you in my arms. When we got home, we had to break the news to Rohbi. Having lost her dad a year prior, she took things really hard and asked why everyone around her died. It broke my heart. As the days dragged on, my arms ached to hold you. It’s not fair to carry a baby only to come home and have to deal with empty arms. Sweet baby boy, just know that there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about you. The pain hasn’t gone away but it’s gotten a little easier to deal with. We love you so much and miss you more than you can ever imagine.

Love,

Mom



I chose not to put any actual pictures of Gunnar up just because I don't want someone I don't know looking at him. It's too personal and sacred to me. If you would like to see more pictures of him, feel free to let me know and I would be happy to email them to you.

7 comments:

Jeff and Aubree Gittins said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I've always felt so guilty because our pregnancies were so close together, and I've sometimes had a hard time talking to you about it because of the guilt of thinking why was I the lucky one? I really would like to see more pictures. Will you please send me some more?:) I love you so much and want you to be happy, and I'm so so so sorry you've had to go through the things that you've gone through. I pray for you often.

Lacey said...

I'm so sorry Amber. I cried all through your post. You are amazingly strong and I so happy that you shared Gunnar with us. I cannot imagine what you went through and are still going through. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers today. Please let me know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Although you have had to endure this terrible tragedy, something good will come out of it eventually. It breaks my heart to read what you wrote, but remember Heavenly Father had other plans for your sweet little baby boy. It takes a strong person to share your story. I haven't known you very long, but I love you and think of you often and find you to be a remarkable person!

ameliaharris99 said...

Amber I am so sorry. I love ya tons. You are such an amazing person. I cried through your post. I can't imagine what you went through. Again, I love you if you ever need anything, let me know.

The life of Jayne said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are so brave and strong! I really, really admire you! You are my Hero!!
:)Love ya tons!!

Charee B Mcclellan said...

i just read the 2nd half of your post today. i don't think it was here when i read the first half before. ohhh what heart wrenching it is to read it. i would enjoy to see your sweet little boy better also. i bet he looks like you also. gunner has a wonderful mom and he knows that you love him with all of your heart. it is hard, and i am sure will get easier with time. gunnar wants you to be happy and enjoy life as much as you can...and some day, you will get to hold him all you want and life will be perfect. i love to think of it that way! hope you are feeling well.

Laura Barrett said...

What a sweet tribute to your precious and perfect little boy. When I first met you, my baby was about 6 weeks old, and you delivered your little Gunner one month before. I had remembered how sweet you were when you asked if you could hold my baby. Not knowing what had happened a few weeks prior to you, as you held my baby I felt the spirit of Heavenly Father close by. A few minutes later you shared with me your story of your loss, at that moment I understood why I felt the spirit so strong. A connection from one mother to another with little angels amongst us. Thank you for sharing your story with me. And thank you for your friendship.